Rambler Newspapers

Serving Irving, Coppell and Grand Prairie

Firefighters Offer Safety Tips for Space Heaters

As the new year begins, the first cold of winter starts to form in the North Texas area and people are warming up with space heaters.

Irving Fire Department wants to warn residents about the dangers of using space heaters and the precautions they need to take to prevent fires in their homes.

“It is a reasonable threat,” Anthony Kennedy said. “We actually have a significant amount of [fires] that happen because people are producing heat in their houses. Any heat source can lead to a fire if not used properly.”

According to the National Fire Protection Association between 2014 and 2018 one in seven house fires werecaused by heating equipment.

Fire Safety Educator Kimberly Hall shared important fire safety tips regarding space heaters.

Space heaters need space. Keep them on a solid, flat surface and a least three feet from other things that can burn like bedding, clothing, or curtains.

Make sure your space heater has an automatic shut off, in case it falls over.

Turn off space heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.

Ensure your heater has been tested by a recognized authority, like Underwriters Laboratory (UL).

All heating appliances need to be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Do not use a surge protector or an extension cord.

Make certain the cords and plugs to your heater are not frayed and damaged. If they are damaged, replace the heater and discontinue use.

Never use an oven to heat your home.

Have all heating equipment in your home, such as a fireplace, furnace, or wood stove inspected by a qualified professional every year.

If you have gas-powered heating appliances in your home, make sure you have working carbon monoxide (CO) alarms.